Friday, February 26, 2010

Canon 35mm f/1.4 L USM lens - initial impressions

After many weeks of waiting, I finally managed to get my hands on the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM lens. The lens was out of stocks for quite a while, so I am hoping that the wait is worthwhile. The initial impressions seem quite favourable, with a nice solid construction and a decent weight. Mounted on the EOS 5D Mk II with vertical grip, the lens feels really right at home.

 Image shot wide-open at f/1.4

I took it out for a couple of test snaps, and the initial results were rather pleasing. No back focus issues detected so far, and the bokeh is really nice and creamy. I’m going to shoot more with it over the next two weeks, so you can expect a more thorough review soon. 

Oh wait... perhaps I can pit the 35mm f/1.4 L lens against another 35mm f/1.4 "L" lens? Canon vs Leica - Battle of the 35mm f/1.4 lenses! Let me know if you're interested to see something like that...

But meanwhile, here are two images from my first ten minutes with the Canon 35mm f/1.4 L USM lens!

 Image shot wide-open at f/1.4

No comments: